Skip to main content

Still No Noah

This is the continuation of an email discussion on the NBA draft. Scroll down to the beginning post entitled "No Noah" and read that first.

Here is my reply to Adam's response:

KP - I'm completely convinced Pritchard was the brains behind last year's brilliant draft, so I think the Blazers are in good hands. I also completely agree about Roy and Brewer, so I'll comment on one other thing from your first response. If the Blazers keep Randolph, and barring injury, they will make the playoffs next year regardless of who they draft. Now if they get it right and get a decent 3 in the draft that helps, but if they resign Udoka (really much more valuable than people who don't watch this team play could know), and just trot out the same team as this year without the injuries, this team should beat out the Warriors and Clipps and Wolves for the 8th spot. I'm not saying that because I love Zach and I think Aldridge will be better, but Zach is a freaky scorer in the low block and Aldridge isn't ready to completely replace that scoring yet.

Roy in the Allstar game is actually a more ballsy prediction than the Blazers in the playoffs I think. I would be more comfortable saying Roy will deserve to go to the allstar game next year. But you have to be extra good to make that squad as a Blazer. Plus, there are so many big name guards in the west, he will have to go absolutely nuts and he's not a youtube/sportscenter/big time scorer type (which is a good thing by the way) that will grab the national attention until the team is more of a force. Of course I hope you're right, but I'm cynical about the Allstar game. Speaking of, what will the NBA do when Jianlin is one of the top 5 vote getters in the NBA for the allstar team? Don't get me wrong. This isn't a risk, it is a certainty. Until voting changes, 3 guys are locks to be voted on: Yao, T-Mac and Jianlin. I'm already pumped for that controversy.

Draft Express - I guess you were right about getting a rise out of me

Chad Ford - Great 300 reference. I did see it and got it. Not a great movie I didn't think, though that scene you reference was pretty fun. I think Ford is going John Clayton on us. I think Ford was/is a geek who was never invited to sit at the cool table with the likes of Bill Simmons/Klosterman/Scoop Jackson/Rick Reily and the rest of those who are funny and witty and provide you something other than sportscenter breakdowns in written form. As time went on, Clayton kept doing his homework and sports fans became more and more rabid for geeky type sports info since there was so much info out there to consume. Pretty soon, geeky Clayton became a celebrity of sorts and now tries to be funny and hip on his radio show and on sports center. It never works. It always comes off forced and nerdy and worst of all the actual information suffers. I think that's happening to Ford. He appears on TV. He has a podcast and so now he tries to be one of the cool kids instead of the smart geeky kid and ends up being neither and we end up wondering how he writes something like Durant would be his draft pick over Lebron and Wade. I've forgiven him for Darko, but he needs to re-embrace his inner nerd.

Summer Hoops - Great point about the guys who played in the WBC. When you went down that list I was amazed at how many players had off years mostly due to injury. Elton Brand killed me in fantasy this year. I may have to start taking that as more of a factor in fantasy drafts in the future. Goodness knows my brain didn't need another factor to try to compute. If you could get the phenoms to play, and there are ways you could do it (Nike, Addidas, Starbury...kidding), that traveling team of kids would be great to watch. The only downside I see is that I don't think they would be competitive. The world is too good now. I don't really think there is a "solution" to that problem. I think we just have to accept (and believe me it is as hard for me as anyone) that the world caught us at our own sport and then made rules that benefit everyone more than us and now we can't count on winning all the time. We're a contender, not the perennial favorite. it sucks, but I don't see us going back.

The Wright Stuff (auditioning to write headlines for espn.com) - Julian's shooting really bothers me and it should bother coaches in the workouts. I do think he'll slip some in popularity, but I also think he makes a really good fit for Milwaukie. I'm sure they are hoping Simmons comes back strong, but that's a sizeable if and he may be better off the bench anyway. Julian doesn't need the ball to be effective and on a team currently stacked with guys who do, he seems like a better fit than Brandon. That is not, however, to say I think he's the better prospect. I'm not sure B Wright is the next Bosh, but I do think he's better than the last UNC one and done that's making slow progress for the Hawks. I also agree Brandon was underused at UNC. Don't get me started on Roy Williams. That guys is the George Costanza of coaching. He's great with the mothers (they all want to send their boys to play for Roy -- great recruiter), but not as good when he actually has to start doing something with the daughters...or sons....you know what I mean. No one gets less out of good talent than Williams. This is well established. Not even Lute. And I think Brandon Wright is the 3rd best player in the drat, but not so good that you draft him regardless of need and he's not a need for Milwaukie. That's my point.

I think Wright could fall to 4 and then he would be a lock for just about anyone picking there and it looks like we're in agreement that he would be great for Phoenix. By the way did you see that there's an article on Marion in ESPN the mag coming out (on line right now) echoing my thoughts from yesterday? I love it when that happens. both times it has.

Rashard to Phoenix - Lewis to Phoenix is terrifying. Perfect fit. I would do that deal if I'm Phoenix in a heart beat. If I'm Seattle, not so much. Diaw works in Phoenix, but there's too big a risk he reverts back to his Atlanta days for another coach in a different system. Too risky. Then again, at least they would get something for Lewis. I still maintain that Marion is done. Not sure the best fit for him. He's a unique player. if both guys are going to be gone anyway, why not a Marion for Lewis trade? If Marion had to leave, that seems to work for everyone.

Brewer - We agree...again, I might add as I seem to recall we both liked Roy for the Blazers last year around this time. My only concern is that I could really see his stock rising in the workouts. Plus as much as Blazer management tries to get them tanking by sitting players, Nate and the remaining players refuse to lie down. The comeback that fell short the other night against Houston was remarkable. The blazers went with a starting 5 of Jack, Roy, Maurice Lucas, 90+ year old "Blazer Betty" and Blaze the mascot who refused to play without his trampoline. They went down by 20 something and came all the way back to get within 2 in the final minutes. Nate won't let them let up. I love it. But, with the real risk of winning a couple more games, the Blazers could fall to 7th or so and Brewer might be gone. Still, the draft is deep enough that I think the Blazers could get a good 3, so as long as they stay away from Noah and the 3 giant but slow centers in the draft, I think we should be ok.

As for your second rounders, I just want to add that Aaron Brooks is the most underrated player in college. He is a leader and clutch and can score or create as needed. I'd love to get him in the second, but someone's going to have screwed up if he falls that far. that may be even more true for Rush. You really think he might fall out of the first round? that would be astonishing given his one time hype. I think we were all oversold on him at first, but there is still a lot to like. I bet he stops his slide once workouts begin.

If by some miracle the Blazers were to get one of the top 2 picks and assuming Oden is coming out, I will be on the phone that day buying season tickets.

Oh, one more thing. I know most people think Gasol has burned too many bridges to return to Memphis, but I think it is interesting that no one is talking about the fact that they were an up and coming playoff team just a year ago. If they added Oden to Gasol and did something in FA to add to Miller and Gay (like got a real PG...Kidd?) that could be a very dangerous team over night. Maybe it's not Duncan joining the Admiral, but Memphis could go from worst to homecourt in the playoffs if everything went right.

After all that, Adam said:

A lot of great stuff there. I want to get to all of it, but have to run right now.

Other than that, I will just add that 300 was hilariously not good (and that a few of my law school buddies picked up about six sweet catch phrases for just that reason) and that your Memphis theory is A) intriguing and B) something I am quite sure that Jerry West was counting on, now that you mention it. I mean, they started tanking the minute they made Barone (spelling?) the head coach and started playing Phoenix basketball without the man power. Which was pure genius because they managed to tank without offending the fans, because at least the style of play was fun to watch. That is groundbreaking, really.
Okay, gotta run. Te be continued ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things that will happen, not "might", "will."

With the season kicking off tonight, every where you look in the paper, on TV or on line people are making their predictions. Well, I’ve read enough, so now I need to share with you what’s really going to happen. These aren’t predictions, this just simple fact. Here are some of the things that will happen in football before Tuesday morning: 1. Deuce McAllister will post better numbers than Reggie Bush this week, but Bush will do something that will remind us all of Sanders and Vick. I see one of those 6 yard runs that takes 2 minutes where about 8 guys miss tackles. 2. The Niners will not be as bad as everyone predicts and the game against the Cardinals will be close 3. TO will have a big game and everyone will act like nothing ever happened and the Cowboys (especially the Tuna) are geniuses for signing him. In 3 weeks when he really melts down, the media will forget everything they said and act like Dallas is the stupidest franch
SOME PLAYOFF OBSERVATIONS I just took a welcomed brake from preparing for trial to watch the Miami v. Detroit game 3. Obviously this was a huge game for Miami and the next one is just as big, but I’m not chiming in to break down the game, but rather to offer a few observations about both the series going on right now. 1. Why do Antoine Walker’s coaches allow him to shoot so many 3s? If I were coaching him, I would tell him that if he ever shot a 3 that wasn’t wide, wide open or if his 3 to drive ratio fell below 5-1, he would sit the bench. Walker is an incredibly talented player and when he attacks the rim both he and the Heat are a much, much, much better team. When you play defense like a matador, you better do more than just miss a bunch of 3s on the other end. He was great tonight just because he took the ball in. It’s not complicated, so why is it so inconsistent? 2. What happened to Gary Payton? He was one of my favorite players for years and years after leaving OSU and playing
The Blazers should have gotten the number one pick. They did their best to lose every single game down the stretch and had more ping-pong balls than anyone. Thankfully, they were robbed. Giving the number one pick to the Blazers would be like putting a super-juiced up driver in the hands of a bad golfer. A longer driver in the hands of a bad golfer just means he hits the shot even further out of bounds. The Blazers are so inept when it comes to the draft, giving them the first pick would just be setting them up for another catastrophic failure. Without question they would have taken Center Patrick O’Bryant from Bradley. O’Bryant is a completely unproven bigman with plenty of “upside.” You know, like Olowakandi was when the Clippers made him the number one pick a few years back. Speaking of the Clippers, are the Blazers the new Clippers? Now that the Clips have advanced in the playoffs and the Hawks’ questionable spending on Joe Johnson now looks like a good move, haven’t the Blazers of