Skip to main content

No Noah Continued

After my marathon response to Adam, he saw me and raised me as follows:

Epic work right there. It is too much to handle to write one coherent response, so I am going to enter responses under each topic in your email below ...

On Apr 12, 2007, at 6:48 PM, Stump, Joshua wrote:

Yikes. I just have to trust Pritchard and I think I have reason to in
this case. I think Portland will be looking for someone who can score
because whether or not they want to keep Zach right now, they have to
know that it could blow up at any moment. If they move Zach, they are
going to need another proven scorer and no one thinks Noah is that guy.
Pritchard went away from the flashy big name last year, so I'm just
going to trust him to do it again this year.

If KP was the architect of last year's draft as I have heard, then I think the Blazers are in good hands. I still think Brewer is the perfect piece, because as long as Aldridge kicks this Wolf-Pakistan-Whatever disease, he can do what Randolph does and then some if needed. Brewer will completely recreate their defense the way Tayshaun, Bowen, and even Josh Howard have anchored their respective D's from the wing, by being able to guard the opposition's best scorer (almost always a 2 guard, it seems) in single coverage while getting the job done on offense (I guess this is debatable with Bowen, but at least he hits that corner three ... or did). Plus he has deep range, can finish at the rim, and - most importantly - doesn't need the ball in any of the spots that Roy does. I also like Green, Julian Wright, and a few other guys to play in that Miles-Udoka wing spot, but they all need to create by getting the ball in certain spots. Anyone who keeps the ball out of Roy's hands is doing Portland a disservice (other than guys that can catch on the block and finish, of course). I love Brewer for them because he can play off of others and doesn't need the ball much at all to do his damage. He is a catch-and-shoot guy and a finisher, and he's fine with that. In other words, he's the anti Nate Robinson. I really think they will go for Brewer and if they do, that they will be back in the playoffs next year. Also, Roy will be in the All-Star game next year, I am convinced. He's unreal in all the non-YouTube ways that I know you love about basketball. I couldn't possibly love him as much as you do, but its close.

Also, I don't think Draft Express has this right even if the teams end
up in that order.

Yes, Draft Express is pretty whack. I just thought that might get a rise out of you:)

I agree with the top 2 of course. On Durant, Chad
Ford just said that if Oden, LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Howard, Durant and Melo
were all in the draft this year he would order them like this:
Durant
Wade
Bron
Oden
Howard
Bosh
Melo

That's a great debate, but I got to say I would order them differently
myself. First, Bosh gets no love. Do people think it is TJ Ford and
Brian Colangelo leading Toronto's surge this year? Admittedly, Durant
was better in college than Wade arguably, but now that we know Wade can
put an aging, lazy, overrated team on his back for the entire playoffs
and make killer J after killer J and can convince every official to give
him every call, and seems to be a good and marketable guy, I think you'd
be crazy not to take him first. And is it just me or is Lebron a
bigger, stronger, better passing version of Durant? I don't get how he
tops that list. I think Ford may have lost his mind.

Chad Ford's work has suffered ever since he decided to try to run BYU Hawaii's political science department (or something like that) and write for ESPN in his spare time. He's never been a humor/opinion guy, so his analysis depends on epic research. When that doesn't happen, he starts drifting, which explains that fairly absurd list. How can you put Durant ahead of Wade and LeBron? How can you put Howard ahead of Bosh? As the tall Persian messenger with the crazy eyes said in 300, "This is Madness!" (And Leonidas would reply, "No. This ... IS ... CHAD FORD!" and then kick him into a bottomless pit. I hope you saw the movie, or at least that part of the preview, so you know the reference. Otherwise, I just wasted 30 seconds of both of our lives.)

I personally go Wade (because of the title and what seems to be a stronger drive) barely over LeBron. Both of these guys are being thrown under the bus a little this year in the "what have you done for me lately?" culture of the sports media. It's ridiculous. Other than Bosh, Shane Battier, and maybe Dwight Howard, name one guy who played on that WBC team that didn't struggle this year or get hurt. That tourney took its toll. International play during the summer almost always does. Which is why we should use Chuck Klosterman's idea of a rotating annual all-star team of high school grads who don't want to go to college (and make a mockery of higher education) while waiting to be "of age" to play in the NBA. A bunch of 19-year old phenoms playing together, practicing, playing exhibitions, and then competing in that year's tourney de jour. It would be great. But now I digress. Going back to the WBC thing, LeBron was sapped, Wade got hurt, Johnson got hurt, Paul played down a bit and got hurt, Antawn Jamison got hurt, Brad Miller, um, please, Carmelo had a weird year, Hinrich was way off all year until about two weeks ago, Elton Brand struggled mightily for several months, and so on. There is no way that is a coincidence. Meanwhile, Mamba is slaying people and Amare is becoming a miracle of modern science after taking the summer to recover from injuries.

Anyway, the point is that this is the wrong time to be re-ranking anyone involved in that tournament. It's effects were too pronounced on this season to examine it objectively. That said, at gunpoint (or in a completely coercion-free reply to your email) I would go Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Oden, Durant, Howard, then Melo ... only because I think Howard (free throw shooting and turnovers) and Carmelo (judgment, maturity) have some big enough flaws that I would reach for a less-proven commodity. But there is no way I take a possible great in Oden or Durant over three guys who are already great NBA players. That is just stupid and it takes me right back to 1999 where we saw decisions like "Jonathan Bender over Shawn Marion," or 2003 where it was "Darko over Melo/Bosh/Wade." Notice Ford didn't put Bender or Darko on his little list.

Ok, I digress.

Back to the draft. If Milwaukie gets 3rd (and they don't deserve better
since I think they are the worst tanking offenders of all), I think they
take Julian Wright to give them good young 3 who has the passing skills
to fit with their other scorers. Brandon Wright may be the better
prospect, but I don't think he's seen as that much better and I think
the Bucks need a 3 really bad.

Julian Wright is sliding fast. He can't shoot and he won't be able to get to the block where he is most creative as a passer. He needs to convince people that he's the next Josh Smith (weakside defender, finisher, underrated passer) but he's neither as athletic or as skilled as a scorer. It doesn't help that his best proxy - AK-47 - dropped off the face of the earth. Wright has passing ability and can really block shots, which makes him a unique and valuable three (especially if he's slotted between two talented scorers at the 2 and 4 in Redd and The Seal), so I agree with you that he's a great fit for the Bucks. But I don't think they will take him. I have B. Wright #3 on my overall board, because I think the comparisons to Bosh are eerie. Both were rail thin lefties that put up great numbers in the ACC and then went pro despite people saying that they were soft and unprepared for the NBA. It is not at all beyond the realm that Wright could be the next Bosh. I had my doubts until I saw him cramming home dunks in traffic and carrying UNC for long periods of time during the ACC and NCAA tournaments (Michigan State game excepted, when he was atrocious). If the Heels had a different coach who realized what he had in Wright, they would have been playing in the title game. Roy "Ladies Glasses" Williams is horrific. Anyway, B Wright is my overall #3 but if the Bucks or Blazers draft there I think they should go a different direction, because a smooth, scoring 4 (while always nice) is not a high need. Brewer, Julian Wright, and Jeff Green (although 3 would be a bit too high, they would want to trade down) are all really good fits for both teams.

The suns would then take Brandon Wright I think. I think this is
Marion's last season for Phoenix and I think they already know it.
Maybe he's back if they win it all, but if they don't (and they won't) I
think he's gone. I've seen a ton of their games and that dude busts his
butt to be a total afterthought. Amare never looks for him and if they
played together a bit more, 2 out of every 3 Phoenix possessions would
end in a dunk. I think there is a chemistry issue there and I think
they move marion and will draft the most mobile big available. Maybe
that's Horford, but I think Wright may be a bit more of the up and down
guy they need. I still think Noah is too stunted offensively for him to
be the guy here. I don't think Horford would be a bad pick, I'm just
speculating.

As you can see above, I am high on B Wright and agree that he would be great in Phoenix. Imagine a guy with 60-80% of Bosh's ability playing there. Exactly. But I think he will be gone even if he shouldn't be. Either way, if Phoenix gets this pick from Atlanta at #4, they are amped, because either Wright or Horford would be an unbelievable add to that roster. I agree that Marion is eventually going to be the cap casualty there. Diaw is going to carry them through another series by posting up some poor Smush Parker wannabe (maybe even Smush himself) for six or seven games, and all of his crappy play will be forgotten. So it will be Marion that goes. Enter Wright or Horford. You have this exactly right. (Although what they should really do is send Diaw and the pick to Seattle in a sign-and-trade for Rashard Lewis and One of The Giant Stiffs, then roll out Nash, Bell, Lewis, Marion, and Amare with Barbosa coming off the bench, while they work The Giant Stiff in for shot-blocking and comedy purposes. Most entertaining team ever.) As for Seattle ...

With the Sonics is where they really get it wrong. Hibbert? No freakin
way. If they take a big here (and they won't), they would surely take
Hawes over Hibbert for the local connection and because he can actually
score. But the sonics have gone Billy Knight on their obsession with
project bigmen and I don't see them taking on another with Hibbert. Of
course, one school says that they still need a big, so why not, but I
think they know Allen is gone and probably expect lewis to be as well.
You can't reach here on yet another offensively challenged 5. you just
can't. My pick here would be Jeff Green. He seems like the kind of guy
who is for real enough that it will come through in the workouts and I
think he'll move up as the draft approaches. He can score and could be
the kind of guy you begin rebuilding around since he can also play
multiple positions.

As it currently stands, the Sonics are the most directionless team in the draft, I think. Even the horrific moves of the Billies (Knight and King) have somehow left the Hawks and Sixers with a framework and some young talent. Josh Smith and Iggy alone give those franchises hope (although I suspect that Atlanta's ridiculous two-game suspension of Smith was not only an attempt to tank and retain their pick by getting into the top three, but also a crafty attempt to improve their bargaining position when it comes time to CTC ... "we would give you a max deal, but you clearly have an attitude problem"). But the Sonics? They have an aging star that knows he should have signed with the Cavs and another star that will probably walk this summer (and become really the first max-dollars guy to walk away from the higher dollars that current franchises can pay under the new CBA). That is why I think they should sign Lewis for the max, then deal him to Phoenix for Diaw and the #4 pick. Diaw's rather fat salary would enable Phoenix to make this move (for at least one year, before deciding what to do with Marion) and would give Seattle a playmaker to build an offense around. They can run and use mismatches, which means he can thrive there. Also, they will have the 4-5 picks in a loaded draft to do whatever they want. They could any number of ways. Go young and talented with B Wright (if he's there) and Jianlin (who Yao calls the "Taller Amare Stoudemire" which cracks me up), or go "ready now" with some Gators (Horford, if he's there, and Brewer). Either way, they could take B Wright or Horford, and then go J. WrightBrewer/Green and they would have a very interesting team. Would you rather have Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis for $26 mil or Horford and Brewer for $7 mil? I'd take the latter, honestly. And this scenario still includes Ray Allen, who they could move to get younger still. Throw in more young talent, Horford/B. Wright, Brewer/J. Wright, Wilcox, Diaw, Collison (who could go back to a 15-20 minute roll player, as he should be), the mismatched point guards (admittedly, still a problem, until Ridnour learns how to be more like Nash or is hypnotized into being a better defender), and all those giant stiffs and this team might grow into something. Okay, now I'm just rambling.

Then the Blazers would take Brewer. Long, great defender, decent
shooter/scorer with lots room to grow and reason to think he will. He
can guard at least 3 different positions, seems like the kind of player
Nate would love. Portland needs a 3 bad. Martel isn't there and may
never be. Portland will make Outlaw an offer, but won't overpay. I
actually expect Ime to be too expensive once some of the smarter GMs out
there realize he's basically a clean Bruce Bowen. But even if Ime comes
back, they could really use a scoring 3. I think the Blazers will look
hard at Julian Wright, Jeff Green, Corey Brewer and maybe even Al
Thornton. Not Noah though. Please...not Noah.

But I can see the thinking. Uptempo team. Zach and/or Lemarcus can
fill it up inside. He's a guy who doesn't need the ball ever but could
finish the break, rebound and defend the hoop. Would allow Aldridge to
play the 4 and maybe open up Zach to be shopped for a scorring 3 (luol
Deng?). I just don't want it. I fear it, but I don't want it.

I totally agree here, as I mentioned above. Brewer would be nice on the Bucks, but he was meant to play small forward for Portland. And I think I mentioned this before, but Jack, Roy, Brewer, and Aldridge have been four of my favorite college players from this decade. Talk about bringing me all the way back to the Blazers bandwagon ...

As for second round pick, it is hard to say, but in a draft with at least 45-50 good players in it, you know they can get a legit NBA player at #38 or #42. Guys I like that would possibly be there:

Aaron Brooks (hometown guy with the chance to be a Barbosa type of scorer off the bench)
Bobby Brown (second most likely to be this year's Barbosa, after Brooks, plus would provide us with a well of amazing "my prerogative" jokes)
Brandon Rush (if he comes out, he will probably go earlier than this, but many projections have him falling this far - I think he's become very underrated lately and he really impressed me with A) his defense on Durant in the Big 12 tourney and B) his willingness to take and make the big shots against So. Illinois)
Rodney Stuckey (another pretty local guy with what they call an "NBA body" and even though he's a tad short - listed at 6'4" - to play the 2 in the NBA, he is a beast and could give them some depth)
Dominic McGuire (poor man's Julian Wright)
Rayshawn Terry (underrated player, good deep shooter, pedigree)
Herbert Hill (would provide some frontcourt depth, is absolutely my draft sleeper this year).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things that will happen, not "might", "will."

With the season kicking off tonight, every where you look in the paper, on TV or on line people are making their predictions. Well, I’ve read enough, so now I need to share with you what’s really going to happen. These aren’t predictions, this just simple fact. Here are some of the things that will happen in football before Tuesday morning: 1. Deuce McAllister will post better numbers than Reggie Bush this week, but Bush will do something that will remind us all of Sanders and Vick. I see one of those 6 yard runs that takes 2 minutes where about 8 guys miss tackles. 2. The Niners will not be as bad as everyone predicts and the game against the Cardinals will be close 3. TO will have a big game and everyone will act like nothing ever happened and the Cowboys (especially the Tuna) are geniuses for signing him. In 3 weeks when he really melts down, the media will forget everything they said and act like Dallas is the stupidest franch
SOME PLAYOFF OBSERVATIONS I just took a welcomed brake from preparing for trial to watch the Miami v. Detroit game 3. Obviously this was a huge game for Miami and the next one is just as big, but I’m not chiming in to break down the game, but rather to offer a few observations about both the series going on right now. 1. Why do Antoine Walker’s coaches allow him to shoot so many 3s? If I were coaching him, I would tell him that if he ever shot a 3 that wasn’t wide, wide open or if his 3 to drive ratio fell below 5-1, he would sit the bench. Walker is an incredibly talented player and when he attacks the rim both he and the Heat are a much, much, much better team. When you play defense like a matador, you better do more than just miss a bunch of 3s on the other end. He was great tonight just because he took the ball in. It’s not complicated, so why is it so inconsistent? 2. What happened to Gary Payton? He was one of my favorite players for years and years after leaving OSU and playing
Here are my sports thoughts for today. 1. The scene here in Portland related to the NBA draft is driving me crazy. Even if you don’t live in Portland, you may have heard about the “draft the stache” campaign aimed at convincing the Blazers that not a single person will attend their games or buy their merchandise unless they wager the entire future of the franchise on Adam Morrison. If the Blazers trade a valuable asset to trade up and get Morrison with the first pick, I’m going to launch an immediate investigation to determine whether Isaiah Thomas has secretly taken over the Blazers. The Blazers have, for a while now, been about the worst run franchise in sports with the exception of the Knicks and maybe the Hawks, but that would be a new low. If you’ve read this blog before you know I don’t hate Adam Morrison. In fact, he was by far my favorite player and I would not shut up about him at the beginning of the season to anyone who would listen. He was a sensationa