Skip to main content
Draft Update

I'm at the airport headed to LA to hang with my buddy Jeff for a couple days, but as you should expect, I made sure to take off from work early so I could plant myself in front of a TV and watch the Draft. So many rumours and so much speculation this year, plus Portland has a high pick which means the odds of something spectacular happening go way up.

I thought the draft started at 4. It is now 4:25 and no pick yet. Please tell me every team doesn't get half an hour to make a pick. Yikes.

Turns out Portland traded Ratlif and Telfair for Dickau and LaFrentz and the 7th pick. That's not quite as good as I thought. I still like the trade, though I don't relish telling my oldest son that the Blazers just traded away his favorite player. Pro sports is tough on a little guy.

Here's the thing. Ratliff was over the hill, but Raef has never even been on the hill. Still, I think there are fewer years on his contract (it may even be expiring, I hope, I hope), so I still like the trade for Portland. Man with Zach and Miles also on the block, Portland is going to completlye replace its starting lineup. Not a bad idea I guess, but it begs the question, why on earth does Steve Patterson still have his job?

Still waiting on that first pick. More in a moment.

I'm back.

JJ Redick's in MSG for this draft? Really? I just odn't think he's a lottery pick. He's my bet for this year's guy who sits there looking awkward as he doesn't get picked.

Finally, the first pick and it is....

Oh, my bad. I'm watching tv without the sound and when Stern came out all smiley and what not, I assumed it was to say something important, but no, it was just to say we're finally starting the draft. I fell for that whole TV advertises a sporting event as starting 30 minutes before it really does so they can drag you into all their pregame nonsense. Apparently we'll get a pick in 3 minutes.

First pick is Bargnani. No surpise there. Toronto has been aiming for this guy for weeks. They have the international connection with Colangelo and I think they just hired someone that worked for the Italian league where Bargnani played. All indicators are that this guy's a stud who has already been playing against top competition in Europe. If he and Bosh get along, they could be a tough inside out foward combo. If he can really play 3 positions like Dirk, Toronto is on its way to putting the babcock era behind them.

Chicago is up

And they take...

Espn is reporting that Portland offered a trade of Victor Crappy and their pick for the Bulls pick. It appears that didn't go down. Portland must be rightfully fearful that Charlotte is taking Morrison. It will be interesting to see if Aldridge is a Bull for long or will be traded. I think the Bulls want to make a big splash to try to move up their contender timetable. Still, I'm thinking Thomas had more trade value if a team like Philly or Minny were going to trade their star and start over, so maybe the Bulls are keeping Aldridge who is a good fit for that team I think, especially if he can play the 5 the next time Chandler goes down, which is right about...now.

Charlotte is up and this is the big one for Portland. I wonder if Portland brass is offering money to Charlotte right now to pick Morrison so they don't have to.

The Charlotte MJs will take...

Morrison!!!!

People in Portland are probably already getting ready to riot. I would have loved to adopt Morrison as a Portland guy, but I think this is the best thing for Portland. Publicly they had to draft Morrison if he was still there even though he wasn't the best available.

Now the question is does Portland go with NW guy and stud to be Roy who could be the next Joe Dumars or do you take Thomas who could be the next Shawn Marion without that ugly shot. I guess Gay is also in the mix here, but my guess is that the Blazers take Roy or Thomas. i think with Martel at the 2 you give him another year and draft Thomas and then hope that either Roy or Gay is there for you at 7. Thomas would absolutely not be there and you don't want a situation where you really have to get Roy and then Gay as well just to get full value from the picks.

I'm not stuck hoping they take the guy who I had the most concerns about in the draft and pass on the guy I liked the most (Roy). I will be happy either way. I think Gay will be great too, but you don't draft him here.

Blazers take Ty Thomas

There is all kinds of discussion about a blazer/bulls trade sending crappy and Thomas to the bulls for aldridge, who I imagine the Blazers wanted more, but they are only reporting that as proposed.

Now, the watch is to see if either Gay or Roy slides.

I can't tell if that trade happened. They are talking about whether Thomas is a good fit for the bulls. Wierd. If that trade is real, people in Portland are going to light the city on fire. Not only did the blazers not get Morrison, but they traded up and could have taken him, but still chose to go with Aldridge. Thomas is taling to Stu Scott wearing his Blazers cap, so who knows?

Guy at the bar here is convinced the portland trade is a done deal

WOOOHHOOOOOO. Atlanta took Williams. Horrible pick, but great for portland. Now they will either get Gay or Roy. Sweet. If they get Roy that is the absolute best case. I wish they didn't have to give up Kyappa, who is actually not that crappy, but I do think Aldridge is a good fit playing with Randolph

Well, it is official. The blazers have Aldridge. I can actually feel the impending rage and violence here at the bar. I'm not going to say anything about what a good pick I think Aldridge is because I fear my life may be at risk. Still, I'm not sure I would have given up Kryappa, he was pretty tough and a good hustle guy who didn't need the ball. That said, he couldn't make a shot to save his life.

Dang. wolves just picked Roy.

Portland is "stuck" with getting the two guys most guys had at the top of the draft board all year until recently. If they pick Gay that is.

To be honest, I think Gay is a better fit than Roy with Martel in the mix, but I just love Roy. He's tough as nails and is the most competitive guy in the draft that doesn't weep like a baby when he loses. here is where Portland could really botch things. Don't get cute and reach for someone. Just take the guy with the talent to be the best player in this draft.

PLEASE.

And Boston...I mean Portland takes...Foye?????????

What the heck????

I can't print what I'm thinking because this is a family show, but what on earth is Portland thinking? I hope they know something the rest of us don't. Foye is a combo guard which means he can't play point full time, but he's not even 6'4 so how can he really play 2? Plus, did Portland need another guard more than a 3. More than anything Portland needs a 3 because they have to trade Miles due to his being a complete jackass.

I'm just stunned. Portland was in a great position and found a way to screw this up. Incredible. I don't know why I'm surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of Foye. I think he could be a very good pro, but he was neither the best player available nor the best fit for the team. do they think Webster is really a 3 inspite of the fact that he can't rebound or defend? it's just too painful.

I have to go get on my plane and figure out if there is anyway I can legally vent my anger at Steve Patterson.

They were so close to an epic draft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things that will happen, not "might", "will."

With the season kicking off tonight, every where you look in the paper, on TV or on line people are making their predictions. Well, I’ve read enough, so now I need to share with you what’s really going to happen. These aren’t predictions, this just simple fact. Here are some of the things that will happen in football before Tuesday morning: 1. Deuce McAllister will post better numbers than Reggie Bush this week, but Bush will do something that will remind us all of Sanders and Vick. I see one of those 6 yard runs that takes 2 minutes where about 8 guys miss tackles. 2. The Niners will not be as bad as everyone predicts and the game against the Cardinals will be close 3. TO will have a big game and everyone will act like nothing ever happened and the Cowboys (especially the Tuna) are geniuses for signing him. In 3 weeks when he really melts down, the media will forget everything they said and act like Dallas is the stupidest franch
SOME PLAYOFF OBSERVATIONS I just took a welcomed brake from preparing for trial to watch the Miami v. Detroit game 3. Obviously this was a huge game for Miami and the next one is just as big, but I’m not chiming in to break down the game, but rather to offer a few observations about both the series going on right now. 1. Why do Antoine Walker’s coaches allow him to shoot so many 3s? If I were coaching him, I would tell him that if he ever shot a 3 that wasn’t wide, wide open or if his 3 to drive ratio fell below 5-1, he would sit the bench. Walker is an incredibly talented player and when he attacks the rim both he and the Heat are a much, much, much better team. When you play defense like a matador, you better do more than just miss a bunch of 3s on the other end. He was great tonight just because he took the ball in. It’s not complicated, so why is it so inconsistent? 2. What happened to Gary Payton? He was one of my favorite players for years and years after leaving OSU and playing
Here are my sports thoughts for today. 1. The scene here in Portland related to the NBA draft is driving me crazy. Even if you don’t live in Portland, you may have heard about the “draft the stache” campaign aimed at convincing the Blazers that not a single person will attend their games or buy their merchandise unless they wager the entire future of the franchise on Adam Morrison. If the Blazers trade a valuable asset to trade up and get Morrison with the first pick, I’m going to launch an immediate investigation to determine whether Isaiah Thomas has secretly taken over the Blazers. The Blazers have, for a while now, been about the worst run franchise in sports with the exception of the Knicks and maybe the Hawks, but that would be a new low. If you’ve read this blog before you know I don’t hate Adam Morrison. In fact, he was by far my favorite player and I would not shut up about him at the beginning of the season to anyone who would listen. He was a sensationa