Skip to main content
Tiger

I just noticed that Tiger is leading at the WGC Invitational and I wonder if Phil Mickleson got Clyde Drexlered. As a Blazer fan, I remember all too well the SI cover and article that came out calling Clyde the second best player in the NBA and making all kinds of comparisons to MJ and even suggested that there were some aspects of the game where Clyde was better. Anyone who knows anything about the MJ era in the NBA already knows what happened next. This was right before the Blazers met the Bulls in the NBA finals and reporters were just trying to make a story. Instead, they made MJ feel like he had something to prove and he spent the remaining games before taking home the title, demolishing Clyde and the Blazers.

A few short months ago there was all this talk about a Mickleslam and Lefty catching up and maybe even passing Tiger as top player in the world. Then Tiger's Dad died and Tiger went away and then missed the cut at the Open and the people talked Phil up even more. I know Phil's massive choke at the Open wasn't Tiger induced, but I have to take note of the fact that Tiger is in line to win his 4th consecutive PGA event which includes 2 majors and then I look down the leaderboard to find Phil at +8 this week when Tiger is at -9 and I can't help but wonder if Tiger didn't read those stories and get pissed in an MJ sort of way.

It's something worth watching. Just a hunch, but I bet the Phil/Tiger rivalry is basically dead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things that will happen, not "might", "will."

With the season kicking off tonight, every where you look in the paper, on TV or on line people are making their predictions. Well, I’ve read enough, so now I need to share with you what’s really going to happen. These aren’t predictions, this just simple fact. Here are some of the things that will happen in football before Tuesday morning: 1. Deuce McAllister will post better numbers than Reggie Bush this week, but Bush will do something that will remind us all of Sanders and Vick. I see one of those 6 yard runs that takes 2 minutes where about 8 guys miss tackles. 2. The Niners will not be as bad as everyone predicts and the game against the Cardinals will be close 3. TO will have a big game and everyone will act like nothing ever happened and the Cowboys (especially the Tuna) are geniuses for signing him. In 3 weeks when he really melts down, the media will forget everything they said and act like Dallas is the stupidest franch
SOME PLAYOFF OBSERVATIONS I just took a welcomed brake from preparing for trial to watch the Miami v. Detroit game 3. Obviously this was a huge game for Miami and the next one is just as big, but I’m not chiming in to break down the game, but rather to offer a few observations about both the series going on right now. 1. Why do Antoine Walker’s coaches allow him to shoot so many 3s? If I were coaching him, I would tell him that if he ever shot a 3 that wasn’t wide, wide open or if his 3 to drive ratio fell below 5-1, he would sit the bench. Walker is an incredibly talented player and when he attacks the rim both he and the Heat are a much, much, much better team. When you play defense like a matador, you better do more than just miss a bunch of 3s on the other end. He was great tonight just because he took the ball in. It’s not complicated, so why is it so inconsistent? 2. What happened to Gary Payton? He was one of my favorite players for years and years after leaving OSU and playing
August Blues August is a tough month in the world of sports. You basically have Baseball, the PGA Championship and the unfulfilled promise of football. The PGA championship is fine, but it has the downside of being golf. For me, watching golf can actually be fairly entertaining but it really requires Tiger to be in the hunt. I’m an unapologetic bandwagon Tiger fan. I don’t so much like Tiger as I enjoy his dominance. I just like watching Tiger set records and dominate the sport, so if he’s in contention golf is pretty fun, but if not…it’s just golf. So the PGA has a chance to be interesting, but you can’t really count on it. I’m a baseball fan, but mostly I’m a Giant’s fan, so like Tiger and golf, I’m mostly only interested in baseball if the Giants are good. If you follow baseball at all you know the Giants are..ummm…how should I put this….awful. That’s it, they are awful. And that would be bad enough, but to make matters worse they have this Bonds guy, maybe you’ve heard of